Thursday, August 9, 2012

Tomato Review

After growing my first garden in 2008 I really wanted to explore different varieties of heirloom tomatoes. After traveling to Baker Creek on vacation in 2009 my sister began selling Baker Creek Seeds for a 4-H fundraiser and began growing Cherokee Purple tomatoes. She told me I need to try them out.

                                                         Cherokee Purple
The Cherokee Purple started off with huge yields. One plant producing 2 1/2 to 5 gallons worth of tomatoes in one picking. The tomato is meaty with little waste or core. Salsa, tomato sauce, and juice taste amazing and are more colorful to boot. These tomatoes are also great for slicing. The only down side I am finding is the tomato is not a steady producer like Better Boy. The taste alone is worth waiting for another large crop. Large crops at one time are definitely handy for canning. This is a great tomato that I suggest anyone in the South try out.

No comments:

Post a Comment